AZ Middle School Career Exploration and Literacy Curriculum
This site stores the middle school career curriculum under development as part of the AZ Commission for Postsecondary Education. The brochure for this curriculum can be found here. A parent's pamphlet is under development describing the career development process and potential steps to follow in this career planning stage is here.
The curriculum supports the following objectives:
- Identify individual interests, abilities, strengths and personality traits.
- Understand personal values and work skills in career planning.
- Understand the influences that societal, economic, and technological changes have on employment trends and future training.
- Explore and understand the framework of the Career Fields/Career Clusters model.
- Develop skills to locate, evaluate, and interpret career information.
- Understand the relationship between educational achievement and career choices/post-secondary options.
- Identify career clusters and related pathways through an interest assessment that match career and education goals.
- Develop a career and education plan that includes short and long-term goals, high school program of study, and post-secondary/career goals.
This Course consists of 25 lesson plans that focus on career literacy and exploration for middle school students, specifically those in grades 7 and 8. This course supports lesson plans that can span up to twenty five class periods (45-60 min per class period) and includes four modules: 1) Introduction, 2) Who am I? 3) What Do I Want to Do? and 4) How Do I get There? The class is based on AZCIS and at the completion of the course each student would complete an Early ECAP (Education Career Action Plan), a pre-cursor to the ECAP which is required in high school.
All the lesson plans and their associated worksheets and handouts are listed within each each module. The detailed course outline is listed here.
This course uses AZCIS to create and store individual student portfolios. Follow the instructions here on how to set up individual student portfolio.
Module I: Introduction Module II: Who Am I?
Module III: What Do I Want to Do? Module IV: How Do I Get There?